Matthew Guy has just announced the biggest traffic congestion-busting project in Victoria’s history.
As part of this $4.1 billion to $5.3 billion project, the roundabout at the intersection of Racecourse Road and Bald Hill Road in Pakenham will be removed by grade separation of the roads so traffic can keep moving through without stopping. The grade-separation configurations will be a closed diamond model of intersection removal.
A Liberal Nationals Government will remove traffic lights and roundabouts through grade separations at 55 of Melbourne and Geelong’s most congested intersections on the busiest arterial roads.
As part of the biggest congestion-busting project in Victoria’s history, we are announcing 35 intersections that will be grade separated, with another 20 to be announced after further community consultation.
Removing this congestion hotspot at the intersection of Racecourse Road and Bald Hill Road in Pakenham will make local arterial roads safer and keep traffic flowing which means less time spent sitting in gridlock and more time with family and friends.
Matthew Guy’s plan will create thousands of jobs in the construction phase and it will help accommodate Melbourne’s burgeoning population growth of over 100,000 people every year.
- Census data shows that 74% of Melburnians take a car to work every day.
- A Liberal Nationals Government will expand the role and operations of the Level Crossing Removal Authority – which would be renamed Intersection Removal Victoria.
- The design of each traffic light removal will be completed by engineers and associated experts in consultation with local government and communities.
- Preference for grade-separations will be an underpass construction with consultation with the community, local government and engineering experts, determining the final design.
- As part of this project, traffic signal systems will be modernised to ensure traffic flow is optimised on corridors where intersections are removed.
- Go to getvictoriamoving.com.au for more information and to register your ideas and suggestions.
Comments attributable to Leader of the Opposition, Matthew Guy:
“This is the biggest traffic congestion-busting project in Victoria’s history.
Traffic congestion causes delays and frustrations which means we have less time to spend with family and friends.
It also means people like tradies, couriers and salespeople who use arterial roads to get between jobs, will be able to do so more quickly. That’s good for business and good for jobs.
At the next election, Victorians will have a clear choice. They can choose a more of the same band-aid approach from Daniel Andrews or they can choose my comprehensive plan to remove bottlenecks at our worst congested intersections on our busiest arterial roads.
One thing is certain: if you stick with Daniel Andrews, you’ll be stuck in traffic.”
Comments attributable to Liberal candidate for Bass, Brian Paynter MP:
“This is a great result for the community in Pakenham
Motorists travelling through Pakenham will be able to get to where they are going safely and home to their families sooner.
Pakenham has been neglected for far too long while Daniel Andrews has allowed traffic congestion to get worse.
Melbourne’s population is growing by well over 100,000 a year but Daniel Andrews have a business as usual approach.